Lemon Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies
First off, we would just like to apologize for our lack of posts through the winter, but we have come back with something inspiring! As per usual, our lovely cousin Nicole helped us make these delicious cookie as little while ago, and as per usual, the cookies (not to mention the pictures) came out wonderful! We all thought that they were perfect for this upcoming summer because of the lightness of the cookie and the sweet, bright, tarty lemon filling! We can assure you that this fast, simple and delicious recipe will be one your guests, family, or friends will adore!MAKES ABOUT 30-40 COOKIES
1 lb butter, room temperature or margarine (if using margarine cookies may be softer)
3 cups flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
7 large egg yolks
1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cubed, or margarine
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix all ingredients together in large bowl.
3. Roll cookies into 2- inch balls and spread apart on an cookie sheet. Gently press thumb into cookies, just until there is a small well in the center, do not press to hard or cookies with break.
4. Bake for 8- 12 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Let cookies cool before spooning in lemon curd. (cookies can be filled with anything; chocolate, jam etc.)
1. In a heatproof bowl, whisk together sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and egg yolks. Set bowl over a pot of simmering water to make a bain-marie. Whisking occasionally, cook mixture until it thickens considerably (to about 172 degrees F).
2. Remove from heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean container. Let the curd cool slightly ( to about 140 degrees F), for approximately 20 minutes.
3. Using an immersion blender or a whisk, mix the butter into the curd until butter is completely incorporated. Strain again to remove any lumps. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd tp prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until well chilled before using. Lemon curd will keep up to 7 days tightly covered in the refrigerator. It also freezes beautifully for up to 3 months.
LEMON CURD RECIPE FROM MIETTE COOKBOOK